Today’s post is a video blog from Rome, Italy. I share with you my tips on re-energizing yourself so you are on top form for business, in your personal life and family life.
Today I thought i’d try something a little bit different. I made a video for you today (hee hee!) 🙂
It’s short a short video that shares an important thought with you on how to collaborate and maybe it’s time for you to collaborate with another entrepreneur on a project?
Just last week Saturday, I launched 50 shades of black stock with a fellow entrepreneur friend and the results and response from people have been phenominal! I truly have been blown away. People are loving the free photos and are eagerly waiting for us to officially open the doors so they can buy our photos from us.
Which leads me on to today’s email and video. I hope this will encourage and inspire you to step outside of your comfort zone today. Click below to watch the super short video I made for you.
For a few years now, since going into business for myself, I have been very frustrated with the poor choices available in diversity images and black women photos that I could use to represent me and my various businesses. Organizing a photoshoot is just way too expensive especially when you’re just starting out and I just couldn’t find juicy photos that really reflected my brand. So what did I do? I used gorgeous photos of lovely white ladies to represent my brand and something just felt so inauthentic about the whole thing.
I really hated not being able to fully represent myself online. And so what did I do next? In April 2015, I went on to some Facebook business pages to vent my frustration in the hopes that someone (not me) just someone would turn my frustration into a business… another year went by and nothing happened… see one of my embarrassing facebook rants in the image below:
I increasingly started seeing posts and comments from women who were equally frustrated and sometimes, I chose not to comment as I could just feel the pit of my stomach boiling over. Eventually after seeing too many photos of black women with chipped nail polish, over greased hands and cheap shoes, I had had enough.
I hadn’t considered taking up photography as a profession but this time I felt like I had no choice. If I wasn’t going to do it – who was? (I mean it’s been a year since my Facebook rant in April 2015). So in order to ease myself into the whole idea I knew that I wanted to partner up with another photographer, preferably someone in a different shade of black to myself (as we come in so many shades). A business woman who I had met only a couple of times kept flashing up in my mind. She seemed to fit my vision of who I wanted to work with so perfectly – it really was hard to resist giving her a call.
Everybody Meet Tracy 🙂
Not really sure if she would be up for the idea, I decided to take the plunge and find out if she shared the same frustrations I felt and if she was willing to commit some time into this “side project”. After a couple of hours of yapping away at the idea via skype, she said yes and we fixed a date in the diary for a test shoot to gauge how well we worked together and if we could create something really cool together. We both agreed we wanted to do a shoot that involved our hands and that we would have to be the models for our test shoot. So we swapped roles of photographer and model throughout the day and captured about 150 epic photos.
After the shoot, we both felt positive and knew this was something we wanted to invest more time into. We decided we would be the ones to help women of colour with their various businesses. And so, on Saturday, 4th June 2016, my business partner and I released our launch page for 50 shades of black stock. It was well received and in the space of 2 days we have had over 200+ sign ups to our waitlist and incredible feedback from all the women who received their free stock images from us. Here is a snap shot of some of the amazing comments we have been receiving via Instagram:
Today I just want to give you some web design news and updates on places I’ve been published at recently:
First up, the guys and gals over at Rebates Zones kindly did an email interview with myself asking questions like:
- What inspired you to start working as a freelance web developer?
- What was your first website?
- Some of the best web developers today are self-taught. Do you think there is a specific reason for that?
- You have studied art and design along with Animation at college. Does it help you in your work?
- WordPress has made things a lot easier for people. Do you agree with this?
- Lastly, there are a lot of entrepreneurs out there who are having a difficulty in bringing their ideas to the market. What advice do you have for them?
Next up, is a short feature on CEO blognation where I am one of the 15 entrepreneurs who share their favourite business inspirational quote. You can find me on no.9 – Something You Love. Read what I mean by this here>>
That’s all folks! Have a great week 🙂
PS: We’re Hiring! Web Designers and Developers etc. Apply here
I’m always on the look out on how to be more productive so I can stay on top of my work and not feel frazzled before my day is over.Today I am sharing my productivity tips from Marseille, France (watch the video to soak in a bit of the French ambience) otherwise read along as I share with you my 2 beloved and most used apps for productivity:
I highly recommend this, I use it for all my meetings. You can see in real time as someone is editing a document, this eliminates duplication of the same copy. Picture this: Everyone is working on the same word document and there is confusion on which one is the most up to date (sound familiar?). Say goodbye to multiple email versions of the same document. You will have your document one place, and the cool thing is that you can also see people logging in and typing into the document in REAL TIME. If you forget your laptop at home or you’re travelling and you want to show someone your document, you can login via your phone (using the app) and show it to them during an in-person meeting or email it across to someone who might need it. I can’t stress what a stress reliever this one is! Try it here.
Watch the video below for the rest of the juicy details or carry on reading below:
I love this for project management as it’s very visual, easy to understand and you can create any sort of time line you want. You can simply upload photographs and it creates a picture card or thumbnail of your graphic. In the past, I have tried using Basecamp, Asana and so many other project management tools and found them too wordy (know what I mean?). This is so much more picturesque and refreshing on the eyes. Give it a go here
So now, I would love to hear from you. What are your tips and tricks for productivity? Please share in the comments below so we can all help each other.
Are you at that place where you’re asking, should I quit my job? have been here before already? How do you know when it’s time for you to jump ship from your full time job that you absolutely hate or should you hang in a little bit longer before you start your new business venture?
I have noticed in the entrepreneurial community that there is a lot of celebration around someone quitting their job. I know quitting your job is an exciting time but there are a few things I would like you to consider before you embark on the journey of starting your own business, Here is my story:
Just like you, I found myself in a job I absolutely loathed and hated, I was on anti-depression pills (yes it was that bad) so I quit to start my own business, I had enough savings to tick me over for the next 3-6 months and naively thought this was enough to propel me into an overflowing bank account with this new business I loved. I’m sure you want to know happened next right?
Watch the video below for all the juicy details or carry on reading below:
Well, I ran out of money, I ran out of it fast! Not only was I paying personal expenses (rent, food and bills). I now also had startup business expenses! – and this can get VERY expensive! PS: your website is one of them.
So these days when I hear about someone celebrating quitting their job to start a business so they can “work from home” or “be your own boss”, my stomach ties up in little knots. If you are going to jump ship because you thrive on a sense of danger or have an investor backing up your idea then please go for it. As female entrepreneurs, most of us are quite careful but having 3-6 months worth of income sometimes. just. isn’t. enough. You need to give it at least a year especially if you are self-funded.
Instead of jumping ship, consider re-negotiating with your job to give you some flexible hours or a part time job. It’s important to prove your business model works FIRST before you make a such huge leap.
So now I would love to hear from you. What are your thoughts on the quitting your job? Are you still thinking about it? Have you done it already? Are you raking in the dollar dollar already and don’t need a part time job to supplement your income anymore? Share your story, it will help so many.
Today I’m going to give you some Marketing Ideas for your small business. Here is a brief summary of what I talk about in the video:
- Run competitions that are in line with what you offer and your audience will love. It’s a great way to get them to know about your brand and acquire new customers.
- You need a website that represents you, even if it’s just one page. This your 24/7 advertising and marketing tool.
- Video is amazing people! Post a video on youtube, I talk about a friends video that went completely viral. Don’t make a video with the intention of going viral however, but focus on invoking some sort of emotion in your viewers.
These are some of the marketing ideas that I have come up for you in terms of marketing your small business as an entrepreneur.
I’m curious. What do you currently do in terms of marketing? Have you tried any of the 3 tips I talk about? How did it work out? I would love to know. Let me know in the comments box below.
Don’t you just hate it when you are suffering from a crippling headache or migraine? Mine got so bad that I was pretty much having them every week and sometimes as much as nearly every other day. Fed up with having to take so much medication I sought out some Natural Headache Remedies.
These are the 3 things I do whenever I get a headache or migraine. They seem to have been working really well for me over the past few months and I seem to have it under control now – I don’t get it as much anymore so I’m really happy to share these tips with you:
- Essential oils: Lavender essential oils especially. I put these on my temples, in the middle of my forehead and on my jaw line in front of my ears as I have a very clenchy jaw when i’m tired and stressed.
- Crystals: Rose Quartz and Amethyst work especially well for this. You will need to lie down and give it 20-30 mins to work, placing on your forehead, shut your eyes and meditate or take a nap.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: a tablespoon of this seems to work just like medication and helps regulate the acidity in my body – which is a contributor to headaches and falling ill in general.
Tell me in the comments below what are your Natural Headache Remedies? What has worked for you? I would love to know.
Today i’m going to share with you my top 5 tips on how to find motivation when everything just feels a bit rubbish, it feels like the whole world hates you, you’re not feeling connected, you’re not tuned in, tapped in and turned on (as Esther Hicks would say), when you’re Just. Not. Feeling inspired!
- Step outside: I’m always in front of a computer screen designing websites for people and sometimes I forget to do this incredibly important, yet powerful action. Go for a walk in the park or look around the shops window shopping. Don’t spend your ENTIRE day wandering around though – you won’t get anything done (unless that’s your intention). Just get some fresh air and come back home.
- Get inspired by nature so many beautiful colours,sounds and smells around – soak it all in and recharge your batteries.
- Prayer and/or meditation. This will instantly change your energy levels. You just have your eyes shut and all distractions start to float or melt away. Powerful energy shifter.
- Get involved in a creative project: drawing, DIY projects that you can work over time, painting, adult colouring book with classical music playing in the background. Baking cookies and cakes – smelling something freshly baked is such a mood lifter! I’m smiling as I write this just imagining the smell of melted chocolate in the kitchen. YUM!
- Make a juice or smoothie. It’s important to look after your body, nourish it so you can get out of your funk. Pop your fresh fruits in a blender with yoghurt or milk. Your body works so hard 24/7 looking after you, now it’s your turn to look after it too. Time to look after number one – YOU!
What do you do when the whole world is on top of you and you just feel like crap? Tell me in the comments below. I would love to hear your tips.